Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Over the river, and through the woods.... (long post)

...to my Grandmother's house we go.

We spent Christmas week at my Grandmother's house. We had a great time with my Grandma and my Dad's family. Although the week had a rocky start it was well worth it. We drove over the mountains with my parents and siblings. They drove in my Dad's pick-up, and Bryan, Shawn and I drove in my parents car. We were about half way on our four-hour drive, when we were flagged down by a passing car. We had a tire going flat, and there is not much open at 3:00pm on Christmas Eve. Luckily, Bryan was able to buy some flat repair spray and fix the tire so that we could continue on to Grandma's house. (We got the tired repaired on our way back to Denver on Friday.)
Shawn and I before we left for Grandma's house. This is our fireplace in our new house.
We were able to do a lot and see several of my extended family during the week. My cousin Dustin recently got engaged so we were glad to see him and get to discuss the upcoming wedding. My Aunt Kay came down with a kidney stone the Friday before Christmas and was a little under the weather the entire time we were over there. But it was still great to get to see her. :) We also got to spend time with my Uncle Jim and Aunt Vickie. They came over for Christmas lunch and for several evenings of games and Christmas munchies.
Here we are Christmas morning. My poor Aunt Kay is in the chair in the background.
It was very exciting to share in Shawn's first Christmas. Although he is still a little too young to understand and fully engage in everything, he had a great time. He thoroughly enjoyed laying on his back and staring at the Christmas tree, singing Christmas songs--especially Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, eating Christmas bows and crinkling Christmas paper. And of course he showed everyone what an accomplished roller he has become. He rolled over several times Christmas afternoon as everyone cheered him on! He loved all of the attention. :)
Christmas evening was spent with my Mom's Father and Step-Mom. We went to my Mom's Uncle Tom's Cabin on Log Hill. It was snowing and just beautiful. We were able to spend a few hours with them and some of my Mom's extended family. It was great to get to spend time with my Grandfather and get some more pictures of him and Shawn together.
Shawn with Grandpa Foster.
My sister, Grandfather, Shawn, Me and my Mother on Christmas day.
My Dad received four sets of snow shoes for Christmas (two pairs from my Mom and two pairs he bought himself!). So Bryan, my parents, my sister and my Aunt and Uncle went up snow shoeing one day. They had a wonderful time and were able to see a lot of wonderful, albeit snow-covered, sights. This gave me a chance to spend the day with my Grandmother. We went to Montrose and had lunch, did a little shopping, and then watched a movie together--Hallmark's "The Christmas Card" [Yes, Kathy it is wonderful!!!:)]. It was a great day and we thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to spend time together.
My Dad, sister, Bryan, and my Aunt Vickie and Uncle Jim (holding Joey) up snow-shoeing. It sure looks beautiful. :)
The next day my parents and sister went to Powderhorn Ski Resort for the day. My poor Dad hurt his ankle on the first run of the day and was unable to ski the remainder of the day. But my Mom and sister had fun! :) Bryan and I spent the day with my Grandmother. We went into Montrose again. We went shopping and were able to find some beautiful fabric. My Grandmother is in the process of making all of her grandchildren quilts (she has 24 grandchildren and currently 10 great-grandchildren). She has already made Shawn a beautiful quilt and I am thinking of having her make some extra quilts for our future children. :) We had another great day with Grandma.
Here are some pictures from the week:

Shawn in front of the Christmas tree on Christmas morning. I love his little Santa outfit.


Shawn with Grandma Pottberg. Her sweatshirt says,

"GRANDMA, the next best thing to SANTA."
Shawn eating ribbon. This is a present from Nana and Papa we didn't open before.The books from Nana and Papa. He was ready to stop and read them right then!I love this picture! This is the face he made after he tried to eat the wrapping paper. :)
Shawn with Daddy's hat on.
Here he is with the little shoes my Mom bought him.

My Dad has been really into gold-panning since my parents cruise to Alaska in 2003. Ever since then he goes panning every time they come to Colorado. When we found out I was pregnant my Dad started calling the baby "Minni Miner". He is always threatening to steal Shawn and take him with into the mountains panning. Dad bought Shawn his own gold pan for Christmas, but it had this tag in it! Oh, Grandpa!! HA! :)

My family is obsessed with Shawn's size. The next two pictures are showing off how "BIG" Shawn is. The first is with him and the turkey we cooked for our Christmas dinner with the Thompsons (apparently we have a picture just like this of my brother when he was a baby). Shawn is actually only 2 lbs larger than this turkey!! The second picture is Shawn in the turkey roaster. He filled the entire thing! HA!

Picture 1 (see above)

Picture 2 (see above)Here is Shawn with his favorite "Aunty Chanty".

Here is a close up of him in his "Baby's 1st Christmas" bib.

No comments: